Saturday, July 2, 2011

Eat Your Broccoli; It's Good For You

I still don't want to write, but I want to improve as a teacher, so here goes another entry. BLEAUGH. I guess I'll go for one per day. I may not have internet access every day, though, so you might go a few days with no updates & then see several of them go through, with all but one backdated. Anyway.

Before we left for Florida, I did some quick google-searching for journal prompts, copy-pasted them into an Open Office document, and printed it out. The one I'm going to use for today's entry is: Do you believe honesty is the best policy?

GOD, I don't want to do this. I hate writing. This just seems so stupid and pointless. I mean, honestly? Does anyone seriously care? Because I already know what I think, and I really don't know why it would matter to anyone else. Well, whatever. Right now I'm just trying to fill space.

Honesty - by itself - is NOT the best policy. I'm more in line with "Speak the truth in love." There's this idea that in order to be TRULY honest, we have to be willing to say things that are mean. Which is bullshit. We DO have to be willing to say things that are unpleasant, but we can do so compassionately, providing support and encouragement. And it's not like those around us need to know every thought we have; only someone who is unbelievably arrogant would even consider such an idea.

I also find that when I'm confronted by a question with a possibly-uncomfortable answer, sometimes the best response is another question.

Blah de blah.

I'll also say that while it's possible to mislead someone with statements that are technically true, doing so does not count as being honest. There are some shades of grey, here, though; it's possible to mislead others accidentally if one is careless with language. This is why precision is also important to me.

I’m at over 300 words. Can I stop now? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment