Tuesday, February 28, 2012

It's Okay If Men Are Players, But You're Not That Kind of Girl

So this is something that has bothered me for quite a long time, but over the past few days/weeks I've noticed it more. I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic pretty regularly since it came out. I've got several characters - most are female, but one is male.

Guess who gets the [Flirt] options?

Despite the fact that apparently the entire galaxy is heterosexual, and a significant majority of the NPCs are male, it's the dude PC, NOT the chicks. And while theoretically it's possible that the difference is based on the PC's occupation, something tells me it goes a bit deeper.

Because it's not the first time I've experienced this in stories. It's particularly frustrating in interactive stories, because it feels much more personal. There are always plenty of barmaids for the male characters to schmooze, but the soldiers on leave? They're not interested in having fun for some reason. :P

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that because I really don't feel like thinking about it anymore. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment