Monday, November 8, 2010

Good Habits - November 8

Today's prompt is: What is your favorite word, and why?

Since we're freewriting, I'm going to say that right now I can't think of a favorite word. One that came to mind was antediluvian. I like it because it's much more common to have "anti-" as a prefix, and it's "ante-".

I spent a lot of time over the weekend playing WoW. I got to talk to a GM about not being able to use primary professions and the GM I talked to was able to fix the problem - yay! so I leveled tailoring almost a hundred points yesterday. But more significantly (not that THAT'S saying much) I spent some time thinking about the interplay between story and mechanics in MMOs.

Like death. In WoW, death is nothing more than a temporary inconvenience. If your character is killed, you have to spend time moving its spirit back to its body before it can interact with the game world again. But that's not reflected in the story within the game: characters apparently die only once. And that is different from the mechanics with NPCs: NPCs, whether they are alive or dead, tend to stay that way. Sick characters can be revived, but it's only temporary, as the game is static.

The Hunk mentioned a game that was in development that was planning to incorporate permadeath. As in, each character has a certain amount of "lives," but once those are used up, the player can't revive that character ever again.

My fingers are tired and I'm sure I've met my word count. Neener!

No comments:

Post a Comment