Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Good Habits - October 13

So I kind of got spoiled last week when I was on fall break. I said, "hey, it's fall break! I'm going to take a break!" And I had forgotten how much I like not writing! So... it's going to take some extra self-discipline to get started again. :P

Anyway. Today I have my Journalism students responding to a couple of quotes in their writers' notebooks:
An error does not become truth because many people speak it, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
- Mohandas Gandhi

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
- Vladimir Lenin
Obviously, the latter statement means more that a lie told often enough becomes accepted as the truth. That's what I think, anyway. Or, because language is mutable, in some cases an obvious lie, told often enough, loses so much power that it code-switches to the truth. Like when oppressed groups "reclaim" insulting words.

I also find it intriguing that 'error' is used in the translation of Gandhi's quote, but 'lie' is the word in Lenin's. I don't speak Russian or Hindi, so I don't have a way to find out - at least not right now - but it does make me curious what the original words were and what connotations they had.

I am a little grumpy today because I called the pharmacy and they STILL did not have the prescription for me. I called the doctor YESTERDAY and they said they'd have it in YESTERDAY and now it is TODAY and my mouth feels so gross. And it's all back in my throat and around and under my tongue and... BLECHH! Actually I think it's more than a LITTLE grumpy right now. I hate this. I hate this so much. And the medicine better not taste as awful as it did last time. Ooo, that sucked. GRRRR.

We did get our phones last night. I've been trying to log in to the EC Ning but the damn ning won't let me. It keeps saying my password is wrong. I've tried to reset it TWICE SO FAR but when I type in the new password (after resetting it) I still get the message that it's wrong. WTF, people?!

FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment