Friday, September 3, 2010

Good Habits - September 3

So today I brushed my teeth and washed my face when I got up, and I fixed boiled eggs and a biscuit for breakfast. And now it is second period and the quickwrite is about school spirit - what does it look like in pictures? What causes people to have (and show!) school spirit?

Honestly, I don't know the answer to the second one. I really don't have a lot of school pride. I'm not down on my school or anything. I just think that education in general matters a whole lot more than what the school's colors are or how your team does. Professionally, I don't know that I would be proud even if our test scores shot up. And our graduation rate. Relieved, certainly. And delighted, of course. But I'd more be curious to see if we could pinpoint the reasons for it, and I'd want to see what we could learn about what's working, and how we can improve even further.

School pride seems incredibly comparative, and I just really don't care. I don't care if we "beat" other schools. In fact, I don't particularly want to. I want all schools to excel. Including ours, of course! I want all STUDENTS to succeed, even if they don't go to my school.

I'm frustrated. My planning period was cut short because of homeroom AND the pep rally, and I barely had time to sort my yearbook payments. I didn't get to write a single receipt.

No comments:

Post a Comment