Thursday, August 5, 2010

Discipline Update & Freewrite: August 5

Poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry.

I am determined to read a poem every other day to my students. Not just during that unit, but all the way through the school year. But that's a lot of poems, and I don't think I have that many that I like.

Except I think that I miscounted, because we're on that A/B schedule ... I won't need but half as many poems. There's a total of 169 days of school, so (in theory) we'll have 85 A-days and 84 B-days.

So I'm covered. Cool!

I think what I want to do now is see if I can make improvements. All of these are poems that I like, but not all of them are ones that I like so much that I just want to share them with EVERYONE EVERYWHERE.

And there's the old-white-dude thing; most of the poems are from old white dudes. I don't know how much I want to highlight that, because our culture still values old white dudes more than non-OWDs, and how much I want to push against it because should we draw attention to it? does that just reinforce it?

I'm in this interesting floaty place. It's my meds. I only took one pill this morning but boy is it hitting me hard. I am SO ready to be over this surgery. I sure hope they take the drain out. It just feels like it's taking so much longer than the last one (I mean years ago, not earlier this summer; obviously this one's going to take longer because they cut a lot deeper).

I miss having a fully functional body. HURRY UP AND HEAL, DARNIT!

2 comments:

  1. I like a lot of the OWD poetry. Even YWD poetry...

    I haven't read a lot of new stuff that I've liked lately, except for maybe Anna Kamienska. She really wowed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't automatically discount OWD poetry. But they do kind of seem to drown out anybody else.

    ReplyDelete